Friday, July 30, 2010

Another Solitaire Controversy!

Hey guys, it's the end of the week!  Before I wish you a happy weekend, I'd like to address several comments about our Solitaire application.  Recently, it has come to my attention that many people have been complaining about the application, specifically claiming that MobilityWare has made some changes so that it is harder for the player to win.

First off, we appreciate the feedback.  Otherwise, we don’t know what our users are thinking.  The comments and suggestions you guys leave us help guide us on where some problems might be and help us figure out how to improve our products.  Next, I'd like to reiterate (just like I have lots of time before), MobilityWare has never adjusted the difficulty in any of our games.  Like I've asked you guys before, why would we?  Do you think we get pleasure knowing that our customers are in fits trying to figure out how to win?  Yes, we do offer All Winner’s Solitaire in which every hand dealt can be won, but the code that deals the cards in Solitaire has not changed. 


We here at MobilityWare always strive on remaining "true" to our games.  Like every Klondike Solitaire game, you're going to run into a deal that ends up being unwinnable, but that is expected!  When you play Solitaire at home and you deal out cards on your kitchen table, surely you're going to run into a deal that ends up being a dead end, but that's realistic!  The functions that we use to shuffle the deck are standard functions from Apple that allow us to generate random deals.  Many of the other card apps in the App Store use the exact same code and functions.

Once again, we do like hearing from our fans.  It keeps us on our toes and points out areas that might need attention.  However, while we may initially find some of the comments humorous, we are disheartened that our users think we would make it harder to win.  We're a business, and in order to run a business successfully, we need happy customers.  We understand that people like to win; who likes to lose?  Lots of people deal new hands if they don’t like what was dealt to them.  Some other game makers might "stack the deck" so that there is a better chance of winning.  In the same way we don’t want to mislead users by making things more difficult, we don’t want to make them easier either. 

Since people like to win, we do plan on promoting All Winner’s Solitaire more because it is not well known.  However, we will NOT make it any more difficult to win at Solitaire.  The cards will be just as random as ever.  That’s our promise!

Anyway, thank you so much for playing!  As always, we appreciate any comments and concerns you guys may have!  Have a great weekend!



6 comments:

  1. Thanks! Love the game. I was a little unnerved reading the reviews on app store about hands being harder to win than average. Thought I'd better find out the truth.

    Love the game!!! My fav app. I play it in bed while before going to sleep, while listening to audiobooks on my iPhone.

    Thanks for the best game ever! Well worth the money!

    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do "Winning Hands" show every possible winning hand, or only those other players have discovered by playing random hands?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you offer the opportunity for people to cheat in multiplayer by allowing hints? If you must allow hints please can you give an option to disallow win. It's very frustrating when people cheat by using hints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is it that if I don't forfeit a multiplayer game but just put the phone down (Coz I'm tired) I come back to it hours later and the same opponent is there ready to start again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The games have become harder to win.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand having to have ads if I am playing free games, and I don't like them but put up with them but what I am done with are these annoying and intrusive points gathering additions that has been added. These have gotten me ready to to get rid of both games I love to play daily and look for a different app, honestly I am feeling like going back to playing cards rather than electronic games would be less frustrating, is there a way I can disable this portion of the experience so I can get back to enjoying the game.

    ReplyDelete